Indigenous Clays and Methods
Using indigenous clays and methods of the ancient Mayans,
Ellis students worked alongside archeologists who specialized
in Mayan ceramics and insisted on the students authentication
in terms of tools, symbolism and Mayan transcription.
(1) Students at work
(2) Surface kiln, presumed similar to the process used by the Mayans
(3) Blessing the kiln with an offering of corn
(4) Replicas of ceramic artifacts with indigenous clays
and decorative surface slips
(5) Exploring a Mayan pyramid
(6) Taking a trek through the jungle
(7) Examining some machetes
Use the “Prev slide” and “Next slide”
links to move from slide to slide.